Reeder Distributors Inc. is a rare animal in the diesel delivery world because we do so much! We go the extra mile to make sure you have what you need, before you need it. Reeder Distributors has been a reliable source for diesel fuel for many industries for over 40 years. Besides timely and valuable bulk fuel delivery, we also offer state-of-the-art fuel management systems including our incredibly useful fleet card, bulk lubricant, and DEF and chemical delivery for a wide assortment of industrial uses. We even offer design, construction, and maintenance of your mechanical shop.
As you can see, at the heart of our business is diesel truck use, and at the heart of a diesel truck in the truck driver. This week’s blog will look at the life of a trucker.
The Life of a Trucker
When you are a trucker, your life is different from that of other people. The saying that being a trucker isn’t a job, it’s a lifestyle, is true. You spend weeks, even months, at a time on the road away from your family. These weeks are made of long days, spent alone. You can easily slip into unhealthy habits that take a toll on your mental and physical health, as well as your relationships. You have to consciously put effort into creating a balance in your life. We’ve come up with a list of things to do, and to not do, to keep your life balanced and happy.
- Without a healthy body, life is so difficult you can’t do the ordinary things that you demand of your body. To stay healthy, you must prioritize your health.
- One of the most important elements to staying healthy is making time to exercise on a daily basis. You need to work out a few times a week to maintain muscle mass and you need to do cardio exercise every day to keep your heart healthy. This can be as simple as taking a brisk walk outside, or paying for a day pass at a gym along your route.
- What you eat is the other key element in maintaining your health. It is all too easy to indulge in a greasy burger and fries on the road, but when practically your whole life is on the road, those calories and cholesterol add up quickly. Most restaurants offer healthy choices nowaday, so it up to you to make the smart choice on a daily basis. Choosing salads, fruits and vegetables, and healthy proteins will pay off in your improved long-term health. Keeping healthy foods in your truck is one way to avoid the temptations that truck stops specialize in.
- Set-up and maintain health physical boundaries. You can easily let a day’s driving go over your allotted time, but don’t let that happen. Your safety, and the safety of the other drivers on the road, are safeguarded by your knowing your physical limits for endurance and concentration. Know your limits and stay within them.
- If all you do is drive and sleep, you will burn out on the job very quickly. Make time in your daily schedule for leisure activities. Find a bowling alley, a park to jog in, or a gym to work out in. This investment in your mind, letting it unwind from the focus needed to safely drive a big rig will be apdi pack in quality of life and a sharp mind.
- Having good relationship is good for your mind. Having a best friend with whom you can talk about the stress of the day is a good habit to keep your mind healthy, just don’t forget to take your turn and do some listening too.
- Trust is a two-way street. A healthy mind is one where psychological issues of trust and love have priority. Do what you can to be trusting and trustworthy and your mind will benefit. It is hard to focus on the road if your mind is troubled with psychological issues. Do daily relationship housekeeping and you will reap the benefits.
- Being truly present for your partner and kids when you are home is the key to maintaining relationships when your work takes you away from them for weeks at a time.
- It’s very easy to let your time at home be consumed with working on your rig or planning your next trip. Instead, set yourself time limits on how much time you’ll spend doing those things.
- Dedicate time every day that you are home to personal interactions with your loved ones. This can be shooting hoops with your kid, or a quiet meal out on the town with your spouse where you listen to them, and open up to them in return. A date night is a great way to maintain a connection with your partner.
- With today’s technology, there is no reason to not talk to your partner and kids every day. Have a scheduled visit with them every day. Even if it is just being propped up on Skype screen to have dinner with them, the time spent sharing the events of the day will keep you involved in their lives, and that is what they want from you.
- Acknowledge all the extra work your partner does in raising the kids while you are away. A simple thank you and a bunch of flowers can go a long way in making someone feel appreciated.
- Do little things like leaving notes or silly drawings around the house for your wife and kids to find as they go about their business. Little things like that let them know where your heart is.
We hope our tips are helpful reminders of how to maintain a life – work balance that will contribute to a happy life. A balanced life will pay off in a long hand happy life. If you found our tips helpful, share this post so others can benefit too! Call today to set up a diesel fuel delivery so you can meet one of the many great truckers that haul our fuel!